Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

October Internship Report – Jack and Lindsay Campbell (Lucy, Elias, and Titus)

Published September 28, 2017

Campbell FamHarvest Bible Chapel, Traverse City, Michigan

Jack

Ministry Highlights

It was so encouraging to see a new teen in our church start attending and get plugged in so fast. She has been relocated to live with extended family and immediately jumped right into youth ministry. She was baptized a couple weeks ago and has been so excited to be a part of what is going on. Although there is still a lot to work through with her as she makes this transition, it has been a joy to see her enthusiasm and excitement despite the hardships. And it’s so great to be able to minister to her as much as possible.

Since this is the beginning of a new job for me, a lot has been exciting just for being new or the excitement of being back in church ministry. The time spend studying and teaching is such a joy for me and the relationships that are being built so quickly has really encouraged me through this new ministry. I’m getting excited to really get into the flow of things as we move forward.

As we’ve made some changes in structure to how we do student ministry, there has been some tension with a few people. But the overwhelming support of those that are directly involved has been such a highlight of this month. It has been great to be helped by other people and to know that I am not alone in doing this ministry.

Key Prayer Requests

Pray for me as I look to foster relationships with my teens. I have been looking for opportunities to spend time with them, so I am praying that the Lord helps me take advantage of those chances and to work to get to know them as well as I can.

Pray for our church. We currently meet in a school but we are constantly constrained by the lack of building. We believe that we can be more effective with a place of our own but we are seeking the Lord for wisdom as we try to move forward with that.

Prominent Lessons

I’ve been learning a lot about how to be tender and caring in ministering to people. I want to be involved and able to help at a deep level but I don’t want to be prying or annoying. I’ve had a few sensitive situations to deal with, and the Lord is teaching me the need for care in speech and action as I try to help. I am praying that I am never more hurt then help in my naivety.

I have also been focused on how to offer help to someone. I feel that my default is to offer a general notion of help if they need something but that rarely goes anywhere. I have been helped on a few occasions by people who saw a need and offered to fill it or just filled it. I’m learning to be observant and to be more clear and bold in how I help people (without overstepping bounds of course).

I’m quickly learning the importance of diligence and preparatory work. Things can get done last minute but there is advantage for the students if I can be ahead of the game and working hard for their sake, as for the Lord.

Key Goals for the Next Month

I’m working to set up a training plan for my small group leaders. This will help us be more unified in our approach to ministry.

I’d like to see 35 regular attendees in youth group. I hesitate to put a number on that, but I want something measurable to work toward just to help me keep my focus.

Lindsay

Ministry Highlights

Really​ ​encouraging​ ​“Fall​ ​Kick-Off”​ ​event​ ​hosted​ ​at​ ​our​ ​house!​ ​Big​ ​turnout  and​ ​interest​ ​from​ ​new​ ​youth​ ​leaders!

One​ ​teen​ ​girl​ ​that​ ​has​ ​been​ ​a​ ​part​ ​of​ ​the​ ​church​ ​for​ ​years,​ ​but​ ​never​ ​a  regular​ ​youth​ ​group​ ​attender,​ ​has​ ​responded​ ​really​ ​well​ ​to​ ​my​ ​attempts​ ​to  reach​ ​out​ ​to​ ​her!​ ​She​ ​came​ ​to​ ​both​ ​of​ ​our​ ​meetings​ ​this​ ​month​ ​and​ ​I’m​ ​getting  together​ ​with​ ​her​ ​one-on-one​ ​next​ ​week.​ ​I​ ​love​ ​being​ ​able​ ​to​ ​minister  one-on-one​ ​to​ ​teen​ ​girls.

​After​ ​a​ ​sermon​ ​last​ ​Sunday,​ ​we​ ​were​ ​challenged​ ​to​ ​​act on​ ​something​ ​that we​ ​know​ ​God​ ​wants​ ​us​ ​to​ ​do.​ ​For​ ​me,​ ​that​ ​was​ ​to​ ​rely​ ​less​ ​on​ ​myself​ ​and​ ​more on​ ​God,​ ​which​ ​manifests​ ​itself​ ​through​ ​my​ ​prayer​ ​life​ ​(or​ ​lack​ ​thereof).​ ​I​ ​asked my​ ​close​ ​friends​ ​to​ ​pray​ ​for​ ​me​ ​-​ ​that​ ​I​ ​would​ ​simply​ ​remember​ ​to​ ​pray,​ ​and that​ ​I​ ​would​ ​rely​ ​on​ ​prayer.​ ​I​ ​am​ ​so​ ​thankful​ ​to​ ​look​ ​back​ ​over​ ​the​ ​past​ ​week and​ ​see​ ​GREAT​ ​GROWTH​ ​in​ ​that​ ​area!​ ​God​ ​is​ ​so​ ​faithful​ ​and​ ​has​ ​given​ ​me​ ​such a​ ​desire​ ​to​ ​seek​ ​Him​ ​through​ ​prayer!

Key Prayer Requests

Searching​ ​for​ ​a​ ​regular​ ​babysitter​ ​to​ ​watch​ ​our​ ​three​ ​kids​ ​during​ ​youth group.

Still​ ​trying​ ​to​ ​figure​ ​out​ ​my​ ​“role”​ ​(as​ ​low-key​ ​as​ ​it​ ​may​ ​be)​ ​at​ ​our​ ​Sunday night​ ​youth​ ​groups.

Prominent Lessons

It​ ​has​ ​been​ ​humbling​ ​to​ ​step​ ​into​ ​a​ ​ministry​ ​that​ ​someone​ ​else​ ​was​ ​leading and​ ​now​ ​having​ ​that​ ​couple​ ​serving​ ​​under Jack.​ ​It​ ​is​ ​humbling​ ​because​ ​we want​ ​to​ ​encourage​ ​them​ ​in​ ​what​ ​they’ve​ ​done​ ​and​ ​how​ ​well​ ​they​ ​know​ ​and interact​ ​with​ ​the​ ​teens,​ ​while​ ​at​ ​the​ ​same​ ​time​ ​battling​ ​the​ ​temptation​ ​to prove​ ​ourselves​ ​as​ ​a​ ​“better​ ​youth​ ​ministry​ ​couple”.​ ​I​ ​have​ ​grown​ ​through learning​ ​to​ ​appreciate​ ​what​ ​others​ ​bring​ ​to​ ​the​ ​table​ ​and​ ​realizing​ ​that​ ​my worth​ ​is​ ​not​ ​found​ ​in​ ​how​ ​well​ ​I​ ​know​ ​a​ ​teen​ ​or​ ​how​ ​heart-revealing​ ​the questions​ ​I​ ​think​ ​of​ ​are.​

​I​ ​am​ ​being​ ​constantly​ ​reminded​ ​that​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​the​ ​best. I’m​ ​nothing​ ​apart​ ​from​ ​Christ​ ​working​ ​through​ ​me.​ ​It​ ​looks​ ​harsh​ ​after​ ​typing​ ​it just​ ​now,​ ​but​ ​it​ ​is​ ​actually​ ​so​ ​true​ ​and​ ​so​ ​​freeing

Key Goals for the Next Month

Find​ ​a​ ​regular​ ​Sunday​ ​night​ ​babysitter.

Getting​ ​together​ ​with​ ​some​ ​of​ ​the​ ​teen​ ​girls​ ​(Brooke​ ​and​ ​Abby particularly).

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University