Whatever your passion, you can make an impact on the hearts of young people. Choose your preferred program area from the list below.
Core Courses in the School of Education
- Assessment of Learning
- Psychology of Learning and Education
- Educating the English Language Learner
- Introduction to Education
- Educating the Exceptional Learner
- Introduction to the Special Education
To be officially admitted to a Teacher Education program, students must meet the following requirements of the Pennsylvania Department of Education:
- Students must complete 48-credit hours. Within those 48-credit hours students must have successfully taken 6-credits in math and 6-credits in English and/or a Literature course.
- Students must earn a 3.0 GPA.
- Students must prove their basic skills with passing scores by using either ACT, SAT, CORE Academic Skills for Educators Tests or the Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA).
- Students must obtain a Child Abuse background check, Criminal Record background check, FBI Finger Printing and a TB test.
- Students must submit a Sophomore Portfolio.
To receive certification from the Pennsylvania Department of Education, you must successfully complete your program, including student teaching, with a minimum 3.0 GPA and pass the PAPA, PECT (for PreK-4th Grade) and PRAXIS Subject Assessments (for K–12 and Secondary programs) certification exam.
Options After Graduation
You will earn a Bachelor of Science in Education with a major in your chosen area.You will graduate having completed coursework equivalent to a double major in Bible and Education. You may elect to receive a B.S. in Bible instead.
With your degree, you will be eligible to apply for certification by the Association of Christian Schools International, and by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as well.
Depending on which education degree you pursue, you will be qualified to teach, aid, or substitute in a daycare center, pre-school, elementary school, or high school setting. Because Clarks Summit University is a fully accredited institution, you will also be equipped to pursue a master’s degree in a more specific area of study.
“I felt very prepared by the teachers at Clarks Summit University. I learned a lot more in the classes than I thought I had. Getting to put everything into practice allowed me to see all that I have been taught. Clarks Summit University professors are very prepared. They know what they are teaching and know what they need to teach in order to make us shine in the classroom."
I felt privileged to be surrounded by faculty and staff who have a true heart to teach and train in a way that exemplifies excellence and commitment to impacting lives for Christ. The knowledge, skills, information, and attitude I take from Clarks Summit University will serve well in my continued pursuit of excellence as a Christian teacher.”
As an education major, you are required by Pennsylvania law to obtain and submit criminal background clearances and FBI fingerprinting results. The law requires a student desiring to enter a school for the purposes of field experience, student teaching and certification to have clean reports.