Secondary Teacher Education—Social Studies (Bachelor of Science in Education)
In our world today, we need educators who will teach effectively with a biblical worldview. You will study topics like government, sociology, economics, history and geography under highly qualified faculty who are passionate about helping you influence the next generation for Christ. You will receive top-level instruction and gain important practical classroom experience, giving you the tools to best apply your unique abilities.
The Social Studies Experience.
History fascinates you. You see the past as a story that has shaped the present and offers countless insights into the future. Engaging with current events in the social sciences energizes you, and you are passionate about teaching others these fundamental concepts.
This degree will launch you into the educational realm where you will explore career possibilities in history, political science, curriculum and instruction, sociology and anthropology, empowering you to teach effectively.
Quick facts about the Secondary Education – Social Studies Program
- 124 credits
- Includes a 12-credit student-teaching experience at both public and private schools
- You will be eligible to apply for Pennsylvania state certification from the Association of Christian Schools International (ASCI) for teaching Social Studies in grades 7-12.
- You can add a Special Education minor to open doors to additional teaching opportunities.
- After graduation, you will be prepared to pursue a master’s degree. You can easily transition into CSU’s Master of Education program.
- Design stimulating lesson plans for maximum student learning
- Facilitate interactive discussions on government, economics, history and geography
- Teach students with varying concepts of the social sciences
- Create and maintain an engaging learning environment
- Interact with students, parents and coworkers professionally
Leave Clarks Summit University with…
- Thorough historical understanding of the modern world
- Valuable teaching experience
- Solid biblical foundations for education and social studies
- Resources for practical classroom use
- Teaching Social Studies in Secondary Schools
- Western Civilization and Thought
- Global Cultures and Geography
- American History
- The American Regime
- Philosophy of History
- Principles of Economics
- Politics and the Christian Worldview
- Special Education Courses:
- Introduction to Special Education
- Teaching in the Inclusive Classroom
- Teaching the English Language Learner
- Literacy Instruction for Secondary Content Areas
What they say…
“I chose the Social Studies concentration so I could be better equipped to serve the Lord and have a degree in teaching. I would recommend this program to anyone who loves students and finds it exciting to be used by God to shape a young person’s life.” —Jim Kosmack, high school/middle school history, geography and Bible teacher at Bethesda Christian School, East Brownsburg, Indiana