(Bachelor of Arts)
Earning Your Degree at CSU
The written word is a powerful avenue for proclaiming the gospel and making a difference for Christ. By combining the science and the art of language, you can create compelling messages that move people to deeper faith in Christ. The Communications major with a writing emphasis equips you with the knowledge and skills to effectively communicate through fiction writing, journalism, creative non-fiction, poetry and playwriting.
CONNECTING THROUGH THE WRITTEN WORD
You have a love for words. Your many journals are filled with ideas, thoughts, and stories. You love to bring words to life, making the reader think and respond. Your passion is moving people to action through laughter, deep emotion, or poignant truth. Your greatest desire is to make a difference in the world through the power and beauty of the written word.
Develop your skills as an effective, articulate and influential writer.
of students receive financial aid
YOU WILL LEARN TO...
- Communicate effectively in a variety of venues.
- Produce creative, compelling prose.
- Stimulate thinking and elicit strong response
YOU WILL LEAVE CLARKS SUMMIT UNIVERSITY WITH…
- Sharpened writing skills.
- Mastery of grammar and linguistics for success in the communications field.
- Biblical foundations and philosophies for communicating Scriptural truth.
- Hands-on experience in journalism, creative writing and business communication.
QUICK FACTS ABOUT CSU’S COMMUNICATIONS—WRITING
- 122 Credits
- Writing practicums provide hands on training in real situations.
- Writing students have interned at Focus on the Family (Colorado Springs, CO), Happenings Magazine (Clarks Summit, PA) and other professional venues.
- Graduates have attended top level graduate programs and have gone on to work as editors, journalists, photojournalists and freelance agents.
- Introduction to Journalism
- Contemporary Christian Writing
- Creative Nonfiction Writing
- Business Communication
- Fiction Writing
- Journalist, Novelist or Playwright
- Magazine or Newspaper Editor or Journalist
- Freelance Writer
- Technical Writer
- Web Content Developer
- Sports Writer