State Authorization Information - Clarks Summit University

State Authorization

Clarks Summit University is working in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Education and state agencies to comply with required authorizations to provide educational access to students across the country. When authorization or licensure is necessary or becomes necessary, Clarks Summit University is working to obtain the required approvals and authorizations or exemption to meet all state requirements. While we monitor the laws in each state, authorization of distance education is a dynamic environment and prospective students should check this site often for updates.

Due to state and federal higher education regulations, Clarks Summit University has chosen not to accept applications from students residing in the following states.

This applies only to online students residing in these states. Students from all 50 states as well as international students are welcome to apply for any on-campus program. Please contact an admissions counselor for further information.

All Online Degree Programs

Master of Science in Counseling

Master of Divinity

ArkansasNew MexicoNew Mexico
District of Columbia  
North Dakota  

Master of Education Disclaimer
The Master of Education programs do not lead to state certification.

Master of Science in Counseling
Clarks Summit University offers a 60 credit hour Master of Science in Counseling degree. Students can select the option appropriate to the licensure requirements of the state in which they are seeking to apply for a license.

Disclaimer: The Master of Science in Counseling degree does not meet the CACREP or CORE (or its equivalent) requirements for licensure.

Important Note for Prospective Students: If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in your state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your home state BEFORE beginning an academic program.

You need to verify that the degree meets:
· required academic credit hours
· includes any required core coursework in particular areas of study
· accreditation standards by a particular organization

Additional information concerning state requirements for licensure can be found at the following websites:

National Board for Certified Counselors
Counselor License

Must be certified by NBCC as a CCHMC, or by the ACMHC, or other national mental health specialty certifying organizations approved by the board.

New Hampshire
Students are required a minimum of one academic year of full-time academic graduate study in mental health counseling in residence of the Institute granting the degree.

From a regionally LCPC-accredited college/university. Requires several courses to be done in a residential format in Illinois.

Important Note for Prospective Students: If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in your state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your home state BEFORE beginning the academic program located outside your state.
National Board for Certified Counselors
Counselor License

(Once we receive information we will have details concerning the states where we are authorized to offer courses.)


The online programs are exempt from authorization under AS 14.48 because the program is online or distance delivered and do not have a physical presence in the state. 20 AAC 17.900 (a)(12) defines physical presence as presence of a facility, faculty, or staff within the state; in this paragraph, “faculty” and “staff” do not include site supervisors or mentors for local internships or practica, or adjunct personnel.

This Institution is authorized by: The Indiana Commission for Higher Education/The Indiana Board for Proprietary Education, 101 West Ohio Street, Suite 670, Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984. 317-464-4400 Ext. 138, 317-464-4400 Ext. 141.

Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
St. Paul, MN 55108-5227

Phone: 651.642.0567
Toll Free: 800.657.3866
Fax: 651.642.0675

Authorization is limited to the on-ground experiences.

Please check back on a regular basis as the status of our State Authorization will change we continue to pursue the necessary documentation.



Clarks Summit University is accredited by The Middle States Commission on Higher Education and Association for Biblical Higher Education.

The Middle States Commission on Higher Education

The Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) is the recognized regional accrediting body for Clarks Summit University.

Contact Information about how to file a complaint is available at:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Telephone: (267) 284–5000
E-mail:  Spanish: españ

Association for Biblical Higher Education
5850 T.G. Lee Blvd, Suite #130
Orlando, FL 32822
Telephone: 407.207.0808
FAX: 407.207.0840

ABHE has a formal Policy on Complaints Against an Institution. Contact ABHE via e-mail at or telephone (407-207-0808) if you wish to discuss a complaint and/or to receive a copy of our policy.

Contact Information for Complains to the Pennsylvania Department of Education
Individuals wishing to file a complaint concerning Clarks Summit University, may contact the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Division of Higher Education at Department of Education, 333 Market Street, 12th Floor, Harrisburg, PA 17126 or online at:

Contact Information for Complaints Regarding State Consumer Protection Laws
Students wishing to file a complaint to the Pennsylvania Attorney Generals Office regarding a consumer-related issue, may contact the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General 16th Floor, Strawberry Square, Harrisburg, PA 17120 or online at:

Out-of-State Academic Student Complaint Procedure
In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunities Act of 2008, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) conducted a Negotiated Rule Making Process in 2010, and institutions offering distance education must provide enrolled and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting agency and with the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in the student’s state.

Students enrolled in online classes at Clarks Summit University who reside out-of-state should follow the Complaint Procedures listed under “Student Complaint Process” to resolve concerns. Online students have the same rights and responsibilities as those students enrolled in on-campus courses.

Complaints are addressed through informal and formal processes. It is suggested that students first try to resolve an issue through the informal report and resolution process before submitting a formal complaint.

Federal regulations require Clarks Summit University to provide contact information of state agencies that handle complaints against host secondary education institutions offering distance learning for correspondence education within that state. Students are encouraged to first use the Clarks Summit University internal complaint process outlined above prior to filing a complaint with a state agency or accrediting agency.



Additional Student Complaint Information by State

Clarks Summit University is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of the Attorney General or the Maryland Higher Education Commission.  Complaints should be directed to:

Maryland Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
200 St. Paul St.
Baltimore, MD 21202
410-528-8662/888-743-0823 (toll free)


For various reasons, students may need to stop attending all of their courses. Any student who either stops attending or officially drops all of their current courses is considered to have withdrawn from the institution.

All students withdrawing from Clarks Summit University must complete a withdrawal form. Each student’s final day of class attendance must be documented on the form in order to avoid overpayment of federal student aid. Students who are dismissed are not exempt from this policy. Seminary, graduate and online students may obtain the course Drop and Withdrawal Form from the Forms Section of Moodle under Student Resources. Seminary students may also obtain a copy from the Seminary Registrar’s Office. On campus college students must stop by the Office of Student Development (OSD) to receive a form and begin the process of obtaining all necessary signatures from appropriate offices which will maintain a copy for their files.

Students attending modules or sessions shorter than a full semester must provide a written intent to attend their already registered courses for the next session or module within the same semester, or those courses they plan to register for. This can be accomplished by simply completing the Course Drop and Withdrawal Form located in the Student Resources section of Moodle. Just check the box that indicated you plan to attend other courses in a future session or module with the same term, specify the dates, and sign the form. Any student already registered for a future session or module who does not check this box on the signed form and who does not end up attending the already registered courses will be considered withdrawn from the institution as of the last documented date of attendance. Any student who does not check the box but does in fact take later courses within the same semester will have all previously calculated refunds reversed as well as their withdrawal status.

Full Withdrawal Refund Schedule
Refunds are calculated based upon all institutional charges including tuition, fees, room and board.

 Total amount of institutional costs
xPercentage of enrollment period not complete
 Student Refund

If a student has completed 60 percent or more of the enrollment period then the percentage of costs incurred by the student is 100 percent.

Return of Federal Title IV Aid upon complete withdrawal from school
The Office of Student Financial Services is required by federal statute to determine how much financial aid was earned by students who withdraw, drop out, or are dismissed prior to completing 60% of a payment period or term.

For a student who withdraws after the 60% point-in-time, there are no unearned funds. However, Clarks Summit University must still complete a return calculation in order to determine whether the student is eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement.

The calculation is based on the percentage of earned aid using the following Federal Return of Title IV Funds Formula: percentage of term completed = the number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by the total days in the term. (Any break of five days or more is not counted as part of the days in the term.) This percentage is also the percentage of earned aid.

Funds are returned to the appropriate federal program based on the percentage of unearned aid using the following formula:

Percentage of aid to be returned = 100 percent – percent of earned aid.
Multiply the total amount of aid that could have been disbursed during
the term by the percent of aid to be returned.

If a student earned less aid than was disbursed, the institution would be required to return a portion of the funds to the government and the student may be required to return a portion of the funds as well. When Title IV funds are returned, the student borrower may owe a debit balance to the institution.

If a student earned more aid than was disbursed to him/her, the institution would owe the student a post-withdrawal disbursement which must be paid within 120 days of the student’s withdrawal.

The institution must return the amount of Title IV funds for which it is responsible no later than 45 days after the date of the determination of the student’s withdrawal.

Refunds are allocated in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Federal
  • Direct Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Direct
  • Stafford Loans
  • Federal Parent (PLUS) Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a return of funds is required
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Return of Non-Title IV Aid
When a student withdraws during Clarks Summit University’s refund period (less than 60% of the term completed), the institutional aid received by the student will be reduced in proportion to the adjustment of the student’s charges. The only exception is outside scholarships with specific program requirements for full return upon withdrawal.

The following states require a separate statement be posted for students enrolled in online classes:


Online students who are residents of Iowa will be subjected to the policy put forth by the College Student Aid Commission.

If the online student is a member, or the spouse of a member if the member has a dependent child, of the Iowa National Guard or Reserve forces of the United States and who is ordered to state military service or federal service or duty:

–Withdraws from the student’s entire registration, then, the student will be subject to receive a full refund of tuition and mandatory fees.

–Makes arrangements with the student’s instructors for course grades, or for incompletes that shall be completed by the student at a later date. If such arrangements are made, the student’s registration shall remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees shall be assessed for the courses in full.

–Makes arrangements with only some of the student’s instructors for grades, or for incompletes that shall be completed by the student at a later date. If such arrangements are made, the registration for those courses shall remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees shall be assessed for those courses. Any course for which arrangements cannot be make for grades or incompletes shall be considered dropped and the tuition and mandatory fees for the course refunded.


Online students who are residents of Maryland will be subject to the policy put forth by the Maryland Department of Education.

The minimum refund that an institution shall pay to a Maryland student who withdraws or is terminated after completing only a portion of a course, program, or term within the applicable billing period is as follows:

Proportion of Total Course, Program, or Term Completed as of Date of Withdrawal or Termination.
Tuition Refund
Less than 10%90% refund
10% up to but not including 20%80% refund
20% up to but not including 30%60% refund
30% up to but not including 40%40% refund
40% up to but not including 60%>20% refund
More than 60%No refund

A refund due to a Maryland student will be based upon the date of withdrawal or termination and must be paid to the student within 60 days from the date of withdrawal or termination

Print Friendly, PDF & Email