Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

Commencement 2023

Commencement 2023

Commencement 2023 celebrated the journey and achievements of 168 graduates in Clarks Summit University’s 91st graduating class. Family, friends, graduates and employees gathered in person and online for the event on May 6, 2023, at 10 a.m. in the Recreation Center on our Clarks Summit campus. Watch the recording here.

The graduates included students who earned undergraduate and master’s degrees from CSU and 27 who earned master’s or doctoral degrees from Baptist Bible Seminary. 

While many graduates reside in Pennsylvania and the US Northeast Region, the university also celebrated international graduates including students from the United Kingdom, Tanzania, South Africa, Canada, Bahamas and Ecuador. 

Commencement Address: Dr. David Lackey

The 10th university president Jim Lytle, D.Min., introduced the 2023 commencement speaker, David Lackey, D.Min., Ed.D., dean of CSU’s School of Theology. 

For Dr. Lackey, teaching is a call to reach individuals and foster spiritual growth. His classroom methods reach hearts and instill life-long habits of faith. “Two goals I have as an educator are to model how to study and begin the life-long task of mastering Scripture. The other is to see students change their lives or thinking and grow in discipleship with God. Hearing of them going on for the Lord in ministry is a special joy.” 

Dr. Lackey has taught almost every Bible class offered at CSU, save two. He has served as dean of the School of Theology for more than 15 years, during which time hundreds of students have been impacted by his heart for the Scriptures and his dedication to seeing students flourish.

Dr. Lackey’s speech, titled “My Job,” marked the end of his 25 years of teaching at CSU. He is transitioning into retirement now that the academic year is complete.

During the address, he charged the audience through Paul’s words in Colossians 1:28–29:

“Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully works within me” (ESV).

He called the graduates to find their “everyman”—a person in their sphere of influence—to warn, to teach, to complete. He encouraged them, “When you don’t know…you have the Sovereign of the universe to consult, to help.” The beloved professor concluded by reflecting on his time at CSU. After mentioning the students and his co-workers, he pointed out the primary reason why being at the university has been such a rewarding experience for him, “It’s because God made it very plain early on that, ‘This is where I want you.'” He concluded, “When you are where you are supposed to be, you can endure a lot, and you’ll get to enjoy a lot. Think about this passage, and find your place, find your everyman, and complete it.”

Student Speakers

Members of the 2023 graduating class also addressed the audience to share testimonies.

Andrea Sanchez-Garcia of Doylestown, PA, is a Biology major who graduated with Honor. She spoke about finding a supportive community, deeper faith and trust in God’s plan while a student at CSU. She said:

I have learned how to grow beyond just having a Sunday faith. I have grown in my relationship with Christ so much. I have learned how to read His Word, how to pray, and the importance of seeking Him every day…I give thanks to CSU for that, because in whatever situation I would be in, I always had people who would help me to keep my eyes on Christ, reminding me to stay focused on Him by reading His Word and being in constant prayer.”

Andrea is planning to start her Master of Biomedical Sciences at Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine this fall.

Isaac William Austin of Norwich, NY, is a Counseling major who graduated with Highest Honor. He shared his appreciation for receiving career preparation and being shaped into God’s image at CSU. He expressed thanks for training in discipleship, leadership and care for others. He said:

“My time at CSU taught me so much, and God has used the past few years to mold me and shape me more into His image…God used so many friends along the way who challenged me and encouraged me to continue growing my faith and walk with Christ.”

At the graduate level, Claudine A. Hamilton of Indian Trail, NC, shared her testimony. Hamilton, a Master of Science in Counseling major who graduated Magna Cum Laude, showed her gratefulness for both academic and spiritual growth as she earned her degree. Claudine started at CSU after previous challenges caused her to drop out of college. She shared:

“This has been the most fulfilling most challenging but precious experience of my life. I came here expecting an academic education, but in reality, I became a student on all levels of life. Clarks Summit served as a well of water for me. During many academic and personal struggles, I had wonderful professors that were patient with me through medical challenges, and somehow God orchestrated a lot of my classes to fall into the timeline to minister not only to my intellectual mind but also to my spirit. So I love receiving a master’s degree but that’s not the true treasure here for me. The true treasure is that I found a great support system here at CSU, and I’ve found wonderful professors.” 

Charles Logan Shoaf of Andover, MA, graduated Cum Laude with his Master of Divinity from Baptist Bible Seminary. He began earning his degree in 2016 before he met his wife and before their daughter was born. Over the past seven years he has studied. During that time, he began serving at another church and says much has changed in his walk with God. Charles admits—he took his time on purpose. He said:

“I have absolutely loved my time at Clarks Summit University and Baptist Bible Seminary. I truly believe that the online format of this degree is the perfect tool for full-time pastors and ministry workers to continually sharpen themselves at their craft. The Holy Spirit works in incredible ways, and at each step of this educational journey, the classes I have taken were directly relevant to situations I was facing or was about to face…I could go through every class I took here and tell you how beneficial it has been to me not only as a pastor, but in my personal walk with God.”

Sherrie L. Holloway, D.Min., of Clarks Summit, PA, is now a Summa Cum Laude graduate of Baptist Bible Seminary. A speaker, author and professor at CSU, she earned her Doctor of Ministry with a concentration in Bible Exposition. She said:

“Thank you to Baptist Bible Seminary and my professors—each taught with competence and by example; helping us learn and apply the course information in a way that would sharpen us and better prepare each of us to serve and teach our changing culture…My time at BBS has affirmed and deepened something I have known—I love the Word! It’s living. It’s the powerful tool of God to change lives—to change me.”

Ceremony Highlights

Matthew Calderón, M.S.Ed., chair of CSU’s Board of Trustees, gave the welcome and invocation. Calderón is the school superintendent for Pembrooke Central School District in Corfu, New York; he has served as board chair since 2018.

Calderón challenged the graduates to, “Promote unity and peace wherever you go…You’ve been positioned and prepared to make a difference.”

Adam Schwamb directed the 38-person Concert Choir in performing two songs. They sang “See, What a Morning” by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend arranged by Bruce Greer and “Praise His Holy Name!” by Keith Hampton. Jenny Johnson accompanied on piano. The songs were first performed in the university’s spring concert, themed around a celebration of hopefulness.

Assistant Professor Faye Moore read Colossians 1:24-29, concluding with the verses: “Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. To this end, I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.” 

David Harris, D.M.A., led everyone in a congregational hymn on the guitar along with alumnus Matthew Benjamin on bass and student Addison Clouser on percussion. 2023 graduates Heidi Floyd and Elizabeth Jansma performed on piano and vocals, respectively. The song was “The King of Love.”  

William Higley, Ph.D., vice president for Academics, presented candidates. CSU’s 10th president, Dr. Lytle, conferred degrees. 

The ceremony concluded with prayer by professor Caroline Burleigh, Ed.D., before the congregational singing of the College Hymn, “Holding Fast the Faithful Word” by W.S. Miller. 

In her student testimony, Dr. Holloway encouraged CSU’s class of 2023 with words from 1 Peter 4:11 that could reflect the hearts of everyone representing CSU on this milestone occasion. She said,  “Fellow graduates, we have been exhorted and taught the true grace of God, let’s stand firm in it! ‘…in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.'”

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University