Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

The Reward of Retirement

The Reward of Retirement

Published May 23, 2019 in News 

After 13 years in the Registrar’s Office of Clarks Summit University, Registrar H Howard Hicks has retired. As registrar, Hicks’ job encompassed many tasks leading up to two goals: to ensure that all academic records are accurate and safe and to ensure that all students meet the requirements to receive their degrees.

Hicks has worked for CSU for more than 20 years. After working 22 years at West Seneca Christian School outside of Buffalo, New York, Hicks came to work at CSU in 1997. He’s worked in the Registrar’s Office and development department at CSU, and he also took on a position working with the Maintenance Department building Loescher Hall for a year. That position ended, and Hicks began to work full time in the emergency medicine field. He continues to work in the field today as a paramedic. After a year away from the university, the director of the graduate school asked him to return. Hicks became graduate school director of admissions and did some registrar functions for graduate programs. He also coached the Lady Defender soccer team.

Hicks has found his time working with the students very rewarding. He states, “Helping them figure out what they wanted to be ‘when they grow up’ is a great part of my job. Watching them leave and serve God is a highlight. Seeing what God has done with our graduates is a blessing.”

Through his time at CSU, Hicks has been reminded that God is good all the time. “He loves me and cares for me regardless of my circumstances,” he says. “He provides above and beyond my expectations and gives so much more than I need. God makes no mistakes. I say regularly that ‘oops’ is not in God’s vocabulary. Trusting Him is far better and more rewarding that trusting in myself.”

Hicks’ plans for retirement include continuing to work and serve. He will be working more hours teaching in the EMS field and working as a field paramedic. He hopes to spend more time serving within his local church, doing chores around the house and possibly playing a little more golf.

This coming August marks his 46th anniversary of marriage to his wife, CSU professor Dr. Janet Hicks. The couple met at CSU and got married while he was still in school. They have two sons, both alumni of CSU who are married with kids.

Hicks concludes, “God has privileged us to fulfill a dream we had when we graduated from CSU, which was to return to CSU as staff members. I feel blessed to have spent my last 20 plus years of ministry involved in helping students become Christ-centered, career-ready believers, equipped to do the work of the ministry wherever God leads them.”

He challenges his friends at CSU to “love God, love your colleagues, serve together with joy and gladness, extend grace and mercy to one another and work hard to the glory of God. I love you all and will miss you.”

Colleen Noll ‘19

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University