Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

November Internship Report – Jonathan and Sarah Chadbourn (Claire, Matthew, Micah, Adelynn and David)

Published November 6, 2017

Rural Home Missionary Association, Morton, Illinois 

Jonathan

Ministry Highlights

This past month I had the privilege of sharing the gospel with a large group of kids, ages 3-6th grade. That is quite the age range! I knew that what held the attention for a 6th grader might not work for a pre-schooler. Thus, in my preparation I was stretched to be relatable to all age groups so as not to impede the power of the gospel. I do believe God blessed that time as the kids responded very well to my talk.

As a part of my internship responsibilities I preached at my church. It is a large congregation and since we had only been attending for the past year I still didn’t know a lot of people. Yet, after my sermon I was much more recognizable as people knew who I was. That has opened up the opportunity to a lot more one on one ministry in my church.

This month I started teaching a Sunday School class as one of my internship projects. The experience has been stretching, but a blessing at the same time. I have seen people grow in their knowledge of the Lord or and challenged to follow him more fervently. What a blessing!

Key Prayer Requests

Please pray that I will be able to have a meaningful impact in a small group of guys I’m meeting with. We are challenging them to grow in their integrity. There is great potential for change and growth.

Please pray that I will be able to balance the increasing load of internship responsibilities and family.

Pray for a man named “Barry” I’m working with. He needs God to work powerfully in his life to help him conquer a certain sin.

Prominent Lessons

With increasing recognition in a ministry comes increasing temptation to linger too long in the spotlight. I have been challenged by the humility of Jesus and longed to be servant of people. The words of Gregory the Great (whose spotlight was far bigger than mine) said it well, “The pastor…as he ministers to his people, he must beware that he does not try to make the congregation love him more than they love the truth.”

God is indeed faithful. This is something that I think I will be learning for the rest of my life, but I am amazed at how God has used, in my ministry, what I have learned in seminary. Of course, that is the reason I went to seminary, but there are so many moments where I have needed some wisdom and have remembered what we studied in class or what I read in a book. I’m not sure what I would have done without that knowledge. God is good.

Ministries are fragile. I have talked with many pastors and this month I have realized that all ministries really are fragile, no matter how strong they appear on the outside. Godly leadership is essential in making sure that our ministries remain a vibrant gospel witness and not be torn apart by sin or conflict.

Key Goals for the Next Month

Increase me and my wife’s hospitality ministry.

Use the platform God has given me at church to impact people for Christ’s kingdom.

Manage my time well as holidays and travel are coming upon us.

Remain faithful in my preparation and study for my Sunday School class. As it continues, I don’t want to get too comfortable and mail it in.

Sarah

Ministry Highlights

Watching my husband design and teach a church history class. He does a fabulous job and it’s really brought out his skills in teaching and in history!

Connecting on a deeper level with the ladies in our church.

Key Prayer Requests

Pray for health and energy as we head into the cold and flu season.

Pray that we will balance ministry life and home life well.

Prominent Lessons

Keep Trying: It’s been difficult to break through with the ladies in this church, but continuing to try as begun to show fruit. This is a full year after beginning our attendance at this church.

Getting Deeper: I am attending a biblical counseling class for the purpose of becoming ACBC certified. In the class, we are learning how to ask the right questions and understand the whole person. It’s such a key part of being a good parent and a good sister in Christ (especially within full-time ministry). I am seeing progress within my parenting skills and am looking forward to more opportunities to use these skills within our church body.

Key Goals for the Next Month

Opening our home to more hospitality.

Applying both extensive and intensive questions better in conversations within my family and within church relationships.

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University