Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

October Internship Report – Matthew Tucker

Published September 28, 2017

Tucker PicCherrydale Baptist Church, Arlington, Virginia

Matt

Ministry Highlights

Our church has a new man attending named Richard. He has an intellectual disability and lives in a group home. In spite of this, he is involved in a service-ministry on Friday nights, and is longing for baptism, community, and volunteer opportunities! When I asked him why he wanted to be baptized he answered, “because of Jesus.” I think that is the best answer! As far as I can tell his faith is sincere, and I have thankfully had the opportunity to begin to get to know him, to speak about his faith and desire for baptism, and this week we will be meeting for lunch to discuss more.

My first month has also marked the beginning of my first big ministry-project. The idea was created and initiated by our refugee ministry, but I have now taken the lead on the project. On October 21 we will be taking a hired coach-bus with both refugee families and Cherrydalers (and families) to go apple-picking and to go to a farm Fall-festival. We hope to use translation software or apps, and to use this time to “rub-shoulders” with refugees and to use this as an opportunity to invite them to our own Fall-festival, Thanksgiving event, and Christmas Eve service.

I have had the opportunity to give feedback and take part in all of our Tuesday staff and leadership meetings. This has been a blessing! We go over the services from the previous Sunday, discuss the positives and the areas for improvement, pray for the requests of our congregation, pray in general with one another, read over Scripture together, do a sermon review and preview, and work chapter-by-chapter through a book with the pastors.

I have had the pleasure of joining the choir, a local small group, and giving the public reading of Scripture at two services – all of these are blessings in my life for which I am so thankful to have had the opportunity!

Key Prayer Requests

That Richard’s faith will prove true and that his family will have the joy of seeing him baptized.

That my immediate and extended family will be saved.

That our refugee project will have many American and refugee families in attendance, fully engaged, and that the refugee families will come to faith in Christ.

For God’s direction in my life for this year and after this year!

Prominent Lessons

Just because I am touchy-feely and do not need a lot of personal space, I need to recognize that other people may not be and do (this in relation to visiting an elderly shut-in man). I also need to prepare Scripture and perhaps prayer ahead of time, so that I have direction and ideas, and don’t try to do it “off-the-cuff!” The Holy Spirit can still work in and through the planning!

I have a tendency to not take lunch breaks or days of rest, and to then become overworked, which turns to bitterness and resentment! I have now begun to “pace myself” by taking 15-30 minute lunch breaks, and seeking to rest for at least part of my days off.

I was reluctant at first to take on the refugee project, but I’m glad that I did, and I have found that there is plenty of time, and that there are people ready, able, and willing to help. I need to learn to let-go and to delegate!

I often struggle with a “savior/white knight” complex. Thankfully God is giving me much freedom in this regard, and confidence and honesty in setting healthy boundaries so that people take responsibility for things they can and should take responsibility for. Also: so that people will hopefully be pointed to Jesus through me, and helped in that way, rather than being pointed to me and subsequently dependent on me!

Key Goals for the Next Month

To successfully deliver both sermons to the youth.

To successfully complete all of my duties for the refugee project and participate freely and with joy.

To finish my last class well!

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University