Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

January Internship Report – Ryan and Nicole Myhre (Ryleah and Alayna)

Published January 11, 2017

Southside Baptist Church, Sebring, Florida

Ryan

Ministry Highlights

I’m thankful for the Lord blessing our young adult ministry as we are developing community within a small group. Two weeks ago the class took a big step as some of the barriers were broken down and a discussion of the assurance of salvation took over my previously planned lesson. I sat back and watched as the group members took on this topic biblically, sharing previous experiences while listening and learning from one another. I’m thankful that as the group dynamic grows, transparency, prayer and a biblical focus remains at the core of the fellowship. Two of our college students were back and were in the group for the first time. The topics that were shared were very real in their lives, and they both mentioned to me afterwards how much they appreciated the challenge and encouragement they received from being a part of this small group.

Our youth group spent a wonderful evening at Maranatha Village (a retirement community), Christmas caroling at various houses and at the main lodge. Many of those we sang to are retired missionaries and/or previously very active in local church ministries; nonetheless, it was amazing to see their faces light up when 20 of us came and sang at their doors. Afterwards we enjoyed pizza and Christmas goodies, a white elephant gift exchange, and we were challenged by a Louie Giglio message named “Fruitcake and Ice cream” wherein he discussed 2 Corinthians 5:21, “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” We had four guests that heard the gospel, and we are praying that the Lord continues to work in and through our youth!

Nicole, Ryleah and I were all part of this year’s Christmas Cantata. After a number of years without a choir, we had 22 people and a brave director reignite the vision for a choir and made the opportunity to worship in song together a reality. Filled with the message of Christ, Scripture verses and a great message by Pastor, the Cantata was well received by our members and guests! To God be the glory!

Nicole’s parent came to visit us in sunny Florida from a -31 degree South Dakota. While here they were able to take in a Sunday PM service, sit in on me teaching at our daughter’s CEF meeting at her elementary school and joined us on our Wednesday night youth group. While dedicated to the Catholic faith, we were thankful that the Lord provided these opportunities for them to be further exposed to the gospel as we continue to pray the recognize their need for a personal relationship with Christ.

Key Prayer Requests

We are hosting a Johnny Hunt men’s simulcast on February 3 and 4 at our church. Our prayer is to have 100 men at the event. We are planning a hog roast and BBQ for Friday night, a breakfast Saturday morning and door prizes to gain the opportunity for men to get together to be challenged to be “Battle Ready.” In addition, we are praying that this will be a platform to launch a continuing men’s ministry and form some small group and/or one-on-one discipling opportunities.

Meeting with school officials this upcoming month (January) as we look to start a Fellowship of Christian Athletes Bible study at the local high school either during lunch or before school. Praying for continued open doors and making an impact in the lives of the student-athletes of Sebring High!

Youth leaders in the area are going to be joining in 21 days of prayer and fasting starting January 9 for the youth in Highlands county. The idea is that we are going to be doing this via Facebook Live (using their language and form of communication) with short videos of devotionals and prayer as we look to further build relationships for Christ.

Continuing to pray that the Lord would bring the right family to purchase our home back in Fargo, North Dakota.

Prominent Lessons

Pastor Altman and I have been thinking about the new year and doing a series entitled “Now is the Time.” Interestingly, I read a letter on some blog from Ronnie Floyd, President of the Southern Baptist Convention wherein he stated a couple basic things that are important for all ministers to practice from the beginning of one’s ministry and that “Now is the time to lead.” I love how the Lord usually brings things like this to one’s attention when in prayer.

Here are the first four:

First,put Jesus first in your day. Start your day early with God, and if early is not your deal, at least start your day with God first. Yes, first things first. If we do not begin our day with Jesus, then we forfeit the privilege to lead His people. Please begin your day with God; otherwise, defeat in life and ministry will become normal for you. Minister of the gospel, remember this: Deepen your walk and God will expand your influence.  Second,renew your belief in the power of God. The same God that saves you by grace through being born again by His supernatural power is the same God alive today in your ministry and life. Embrace the power of God! He can do anything, any time, anywhere, with anyone. He can do this with you and through your church. Refuse to dissect what He can and cannot do. Receive what He is able to do with you and through you. Begin to teach and preach about the power of God to your church. They need to begin to believe again.  Third, bring prayer back into the worship services of your church. Get beyond the “Bless me” prayers and into calling out to the God of Heaven to manifest His presence to the people of God. Weekly, call out to God before your people. Pray for the sick. Pray for the hurting. Your entire church needs to hear you pray with both confidence and conviction. At times, move your people to pray together in groups around the room. At other times, call them to their knees in humility. Pray for revival to come to the people of God and for the next Great Awakening to occur in America. Prayer always precedes great works of God.  Fourth, prioritize evangelism in the life of your church. Refuse to succumb to persuasions and practices that do not aggressively reach others for Christ. Celebrate the reaching of the lost and the baptizing of new followers of Christ. Discover places in your community where the gospel has never been shared and resolve to take the gospel there. Study the demographics of your city. Strategize how to win your city to Jesus Christ. Then, do not cease evangelizing.

As I read through these basics, I was reminded that it is the basics of the faith that we need to continually put before those we minister to as an encouragement to their walk. Put Christ first in your life; embrace the power of God; pray; tell others of Christ! These are some of the basics we are praying to put before our church in the new year to encourage them to not put it off; don’t procrastinate; don’t wait, because “Now is the Time!”

I realized this month that I was addicted and reliant on something that I found very hard to live and be productive without—the internet. Our internet went on the brink early this week at the church, which limited my ability to communicate via email, do much of my classwork, print any needed material or simply google questions that I had. In addition, my home life was interrupted as we recently moved and the internet company hasn’t been able to install internet at our new place. I was in a state of much frustration and needed to “be connected.” I was addicted to the internet, and I didn’t even realize it. To help, I started to use my phone as a hotspot, which now has upped my cell phone bill by $20 as we reached our data limit and had to add extra. Addictions are costly. I’ve found that the first step in coping effectively with internet dependence is recognizing that the problem exists. While not very spiritual in nature, the significant lesson I learned was that in our information and connected context, our lifestyles cannot be ruled by our dependence on devices. This week I’ve re-encountered the idea of human “disconnection” and the reality that much of our time/efforts are in the cyber world rather than connecting face-to-face and in relationships. Although I made light of the situation, it was extremely frustrating as I found my behavior and time-management to be drastically changed to find enough “bars” to connect. It reminded me that we need to be wise, because we, as a society, are embracing technology without fully understanding the long-term ramifications of this decision. We’re constantly seeking out short-term gains and improvements without really taking into consideration the whole picture for future generations. Does that sound like our spiritual journey sometimes? It made me realize how much I truly enjoy the feel and sight of the worn and scribbled pages of my Bible and its relevance and importance in our daily walk. With that I’m truly connected and free!

Key Goals for the Next Month

Continuing to implement aspects of our assimilation plan as Pastor begins preaching a new series entitled “Now is the Time.” We are continuing to pray for discernment and guidance as we lead through changes to tradition and getting people to catch the vision.

Planning, preparing, equipping, and leading a successful and fruitful men’s simulcast on February 3 and 4.

Leading and equipping our youth leader team as we look to establish small groups on Wednesday nights.

Encourage young adult class to confirm a date for a “fun” event as well as determining a service project and date.

Develop discipleship material for new believers.

Nicole

Ministry Highlights

We had a very meaningful Christmas event with the youth. Caroling at Maranatha Village and visiting with residents there while teaching the youth the importance of the ministry. Louie Giglio movie was real to the kids with many tearing up. Ryan had a powerful message and challenge for them. Elephant gift exchange and games provided great interaction with our youth.

My parents flying to Florida to spend Christmas with us. It was so special to have them here for a week to meet the church members and see our new community.

Girls singing their first song together in a church service here with a rendition of “Silent Night.” Ryleah also in church choir with Ryan and I as we performed in the Christmas Cantata.

The children’s Christmas program/skit was precious.

Going to our first Sebring Christmas parade with church friends right outside our church’s front door!

Christmas morning service.

Key Prayer Requests

Praising the Lord for His provision as we moved into our new rental home at the beginning of December. Thankful for all He has provided for us during our time of transitioning to Florida.

Please be in prayer for more young singles and couples to be led to Southside to grow our young adult ministry as we look to pray, invite, and invest the love of Christ with them.

Prominent Lessons

I have had a real connection with many members and that is so special to me. What a privilege and honor to get to them better and be able to pray with them. We are dealing with many heavy situations, from car accidents to cancer treatments. I am growing in my walk and learning through their experiences as we come alongside them.

Key Goals

To establish a system with the church for the home bound ministry and keeping connected with those members who cannot physically make it to services. We are looking at getting a computer program to help track these members and better minister to them.

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University