Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

How to Make Bible Reading Part of Daily Life in the New Year

Published December 13, 2016

The first key is finding the optimum time. I am a regimented person, an early riser and tied to a nine-month school schedule, so early mornings are my time. Those who have less conventional schedules struggle with this. A friend of mine carried a brown-bag lunch every day and locked himself in his office to have devotions at that hour. He had such a long commute that rising early or having reading late was not a good option. Whatever time is chosen, it should be one in which there are minimum distractions, so a genuinely “quiet time” can be had.

The second key is to choose a meaningful methodology. There are many devotional books to guide Bible study and keep one on track. I have always read through sections of Scripture. For a long time, I completed the Bible every year. Currently, I am reading through sections that are tied to my courses such as the Minor Prophets (this fall) and Wisdom Literature (this spring). This keeps a professor like me up-to-date in my classes. I also begin reading my Sunday school lesson on Monday and for several days before the next Sunday. Alternating between these sections of Scripture helps to keep things fresh.

A good practice to use regardless of methodology is to pray through the passage after the initial reading. This enhances the reading and prayer life because it drives home the Scripture intent vividly. It is not tied to the interpretation so much as “cue thoughts” raised by the text. There can be names, relationships, themes or theological objectives in the text that incite meditation and become the source of prayer. For example, anything on military action would cause me to pray for my son and others in the armed forces. Families mentioned in passages bring to mind my wife, children and grandchildren. This also aids in meditation on the passage all day.

The last key is never give up. There may be circumstances that prevent a normal schedule, and standard devotions are missed. Substitute with just a quiet reflection on a past Scripture and personal prayer. If missed altogether, get back up and start again the next day. Consistency is the key to growth.

Download CSU’s free guide to reading through the Bible in one year.

david lackeyDr. David A. Lackey, Dean, School of Bible and Theology

Before coming to CSU, Dr. Lackey served as a professor at Tennessee Temple University for 14 years and as an assistant pastor at Mile Straight Baptist Church in Tennessee, for 12 of those years. He is a Tennessee Volunteer and loyal Southerner with the accent to prove it. He and his wife Betty met in high school. They have two children, Amanda and Eric.

This will close in 20 seconds

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University