Request Info

Visit

Apply Now

Give

Constitution Day Brings Unique Chapel Message

Published September 16, 2016

On Friday, September 16, 2016, Susan Cagley, associate professor of history and school of education liaison, presented a special chapel session focused on Constitution Day.

Students were presented with information not only pertaining to the United States Constitution itself, but also to the upcoming election and their responsibilities as citizens of the US. The Office for Student Development also held a trivia game during the session where students could test out their US government knowledge. Winners received a $100 scholarship.

As a powerful opening statement, Cagley said, “I am a citizen of two places, I have dual citizenship, as does everyone who is a believer in Jesus Christ. I am a citizen, first of all, of Heaven. That was sealed and made public at my baptism. I am also a citizen of the United States; I was born here, and I live here.” Her message centered on this idea of dual citizenship and the responsibilities of the American Christian.

Of these responsibilities, she said, “It is we the people, as the preamble to the Constitution says, that have vested the authority in our government, and we the people are the ones who are responsible for it.”

This is the 4th year that Clarks Summit University has celebrated Constitution Day during a chapel session. The official Constitution Day is September 17. This year marks 229 years since the signing of the Constitution of the United States of America.

Left Menu Icon
Clarks Summit University Clarks Summit University